Mentors are integral to the Aqua Scholars Program. Many past participants in the Scholars Program have noted that the time spent with their mentors has had a lasting impact on their lives and achievements. Aqua’s amazing group of mentors act as the personal bridge between Scholars and AFW, helping the students to grow into leaders for the LGBTQ community. Each mentor is carefully matched to a scholarship winner through a rigorous review process. The selection committee considers multiple factors when deciding who to include in the list of mentors each year such as past experience and their level of participation in Miami’s LGBTQ community. While any woman who identifies as LGBTQ is welcome to apply to be a mentor, we prefer that those working with scholars are “out and proud” in their personal and professional lives.
WHAT TO EXPECT IF CHOSEN
Mentors chosen to participate in the Scholars Program are expected to:
• Meet with their assigned Scholar on a monthly basis, at minimum
• Attend a day-long mentor training orientation
• Participate in the program’s designated community service project for the year
• Attend quarterly gatherings with the entire program group
• Provide encouragement, advice, and support to their Scholar
• Assist their Scholar in identifying and working towards accomplishing their academic, professional, and personal goals
HOW TO APPLY
Unfortunately, the 2018/2019 program is no longer accepting applications. Please check back next year or contact Robin Schwartz, Managing Director for details: firstname.lastname@example.org.