ABOUT THE PROGRAM
How to apply
All applicants must submit an online application. Applications must be completed in order to be considered. The application period is now closed, but will be posted for next year starting in May 2022.
To be considered for the Aqua Scholarship Program, applicants must:
- Be enrolled at an accredited local (tri-county) college or university for the full academic year for which they are applying
- Be actively pursuing an associate’s, bachelor’s, graduate, or professional degree
- Be a full time resident in the tri-county area during the duration of the program and be able to attend all required events
- Maintain an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Must identify as part of the LGBTQ (lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender/queer) community
Expectations for Scholarship Recipients
If chosen for the Aqua Scholarship Program, participants are expected to attend a variety of events and activities. These events include:
- LGBTQ Emerging Leaders Conference
- Four scholar/mentor meetings
- Monthly meetings with their assigned mentor
- Volunteer for 10 hours of community service
- Participation in the program’s designated community service projects and Aqua special events
- Your most current resume and school transcripts
- Three letters of recommendation
- A copy of your institution’s financial documents, including your cost of attendance and your FASFA financial need documents
Aqua Foundation for Women is proud to provide yearly scholarships to LGBTQ students in the South Florida. Founded in 2007, the Aqua Scholars program has been helping young women in the community achieve their goals in higher education by providing the funds to facilitate their learning as well as mentorship to help them achieve academic success. Each year we select a group of outstanding LGBTQ leaders to be paired with more experienced members of the community who have been in their shoes. With both academic, professional, and personal guidance from their mentors, each scholar is given the opportunity to attend meetings, a leadership conference, and community service events, as well as the chance to forge relationships with like-minded people working for positive social change.
As Miami’s leading organization for and by LGBTQ women, we at Aqua feel that it is our duty to foster the leaders of tomorrow. With women’s needs being routinely underrepresented in the LGBTQ activist community, we are committed to encouraging the voices of young women who see themselves as vehicles for change in their community in any way that we can. The Aqua Foundation Scholars program allows us to do just that.
Applications will open again in 2022
Please stay connected with AQUA through our social media pages and sign up for our emails (links available on the homepage).
WORDS FROM PAST PARTICIPANTS
The Aqua Foundation Scholarship allows me to continue to afford my legal education, and frees me to spend more time being an advocate, a mentor, and a voice, not only for myself but for all that are members of the LGBT community.
– Charrise Alexander (2012-2013)
I am extremely excited to become more involved with Aqua Foundation for Women, and I can’t wait to meet my mentor. I’ve been waiting to give back to the LBT community and to be seen as a leader, and this is such an honor.
– Bridget Pelaez (2011-2014)
Aqua Foundation has given me the opportunity to succeed in college which will, in turn, prepare me to become an activist for the LGBTQ community. Thank you, Aqua!
– Mageda Abdulhad (2010-2014)